Purpose of Post
· To manage the day to day running of the Hatchlings room/s to include co-ordinating the provision of a caring, safe, secure and stimulating environment, meeting Ofsted and HSE requirements.
· To plan a range of activities based on an observation and assessment cycle for children aged 3 to 24 months
· Managing a staff team within the room working alongside the senior management team to ensure policies and procedures are implemented at all times.
· Fulfilling duties within the room and the setting to promote the safeguarding and welfare of the children, staff and parents/carers.
· Teach, guide and care for children
· Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all children.
· To lead the planning of safe, creative and appropriate learning opportunities
· Liaise with parents/carers.
· Deploy, mentor and support staff team within the room.
· To act in accordance with current legislation, policy and procedures.
· To actively promote and support the safeguarding of children at the nursery, ensuring that all staff and volunteers observe Learn to Leap’s policies and procedures to keep children safe from harm.
Hours of Work
40 hours per week between 7.30 am to 6pm – Monday to Friday
Responsible to:Senior Management Team
Duties and Responsibilities
· To ensure that staff comply at all times with nursery policies, procedures and standards, including safeguarding, health and safety, hygiene, inclusion and confidentiality (in line with Early Years Welfare Requirements) and best practice for Babies and Toddlers (see attached)
· To support each individual child’s care needs including; (see Baby Room responsibilities);
o Preparing appropriate bottle feeds, including sterilisation of equipment
o Nappy changes
o Weaning onto solid foods
o Sleep Monitoring
To lead a provision of high quality of teaching and learning activities indoors and out, ensuring that staff within your team are correctly deployed and offer appropriate stimulation and support to the children. This includes;
o Leading the planning of safe, creative and age appropriate learning opportunities according to children’s needs and interests to fulfil the requirements of the Early Years - Learning and Development requirements,
o Taking responsibility for drawing up of long term, medium term and sessional plans which ensure that each child is working towards appropriate learning goals.
o To be responsible for implementing systems of observation and record keeping so that children's attainment and progress are effectively and regularly assessed; to monitor the effectiveness of assessment procedures.
o To monitor the effectiveness of the planning and curriculum alongside senior management team.
· To ensure, with your team, that particular needs of children are met including;
o Facilitating review meetings to update and involve parent/carers,
o liaising with external agencies to support individual children’s needs
o implementing and monitoring any support required for individual children
o planning appropriate activities
· To develop and maintain good relationships and communication with parents/carers to facilitate meeting the needs of each child, including, organising meetings to update and involve parent/carers in their child’s learning
· Maintain respectful and genuine interaction with children using warm and responsive communication strategies, which are appropriate to children’s needs
· Be responsible for a group of Key Children, ensuring their Learning Journals are kept up to date.
· Be responsible for the physical care needs of your key children and other children within the room.
· Prepare the learning environment, organisation of the room arrangement and resources, with support of Hatchlings team.
· Support children with the transition into nursery from home as well as preparing each child for the next step into the Toddler room (Ducklings).
· Providing objective and accurate feedback and reports as required – including daily updates for parents (day sheets)
· To supervise and contribute to the performance management of your staff team according to policies and procedures.
· To co-ordinate and chair room meeting as appropriate to the routine of the Baby room.
· To ensure that children are properly supervised at all times both indoors and outdoors and that appropriate adult child ratios (1:3) are maintained at all times.
· To actively support relevant staff training and development opportunities.
· Ensuring all children have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop
· Liaising with Senior Management team, other Room Leaders and staff to share information.
· Liaising with advisory and support staff in the development and improvement of the nursery.
· Liaise with Quality Assurance team to reflect on and support improvements within nursery and your own practice.
· To organise the key person system and to effectively supervise staff on a daily basis; to be responsible for monitoring the quality of teaching; to contribute to staff appraisals and to identify in-service training needs of staff within your team.
· To ensure records are properly maintained, e.g. daily attendance register, accident and incident book.
· To ensure that the Hatchlings room is a safe environment for children, staff and others, that equipment is safe, standards of hygiene are high and safety procedures are implemented at all times
· To liaise with the senior management team, the nursery proprietor, social services and other professionals as necessary and ensure that all legal and statutory requirements are implemented.
· To continually evaluate and reflect on your own practice. To keep up-to-date with the latest ideas and developments in the early years field through attending in-service training and other early years meetings and training courses and reading relevant publications and to encourage and support your staff team in doing the same.
· Carrying out daily safety checks and activity and outing risk assessments.
· To have an awareness of the requirements of the nursery as a whole and to be familiar with the routines of each of the rooms
· To be involved in out of work activities such as regular team meetings, parent’s evenings, summer fairs etc. these may take place on weekday evenings or on a Saturday.
· To assist with the domestic tasks in the Nursery e.g. preparation of meals and snacks, washing and changing children and general cleaning duties
· To work with all age ranges of children as required
· Work requires bending, kneeling and crouching and sitting on the floor for periods of time and will also involve lifting and holding children and changing nappies/toileting duties.
· Promoting positive values, attitudes and good child behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encouraging children to take responsibility for their own behaviour
· To work closely with all staff team to promote team spirit and a positive ethos within the nursery.
· To provide support to unqualified team members and students who are pursuing a childcare qualification.