Swiss Cottage Community Association – Nursery Manager
Salary up to £30,000 for the right candidate
To apply, please complete the Application form and EO form and email to email@example.com (PLEASE DOWNLOAD FROM BELOW)
Background to Role
Swiss Cottage Community Association is a community organisation based in Swiss Cottage in North West London.
We predominantly work with Under 5s, Over 60s and in Adult Education in addition to our general community activities.
Our Nursery opened in April 2015 and we are looking for a new Manager to build on the work of the current postholder.
We are at an exciting time in our development and are looking for the right candidate to ensure the success of the nursery provision.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced nursery manager who has managed staff and who wants to contribute to the development of SCCA.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to manage the Nursery and will include the following:
- Managing the nursery spaces
- Marketing the nursery
- Management and recruitment of staff
- Working with Camden Council and Ofsted to develop the nursery provision
Post Title: Nursery Manager
Reports to: Director
Purpose of Job
The Nursery Manager (NM) will be expected to provide high quality, flexible childcare for families from the local communities.
The NM will oversee the operation of SCCA’s nursery service to the highest standards, ensuring that the best possible environment and care are provided for young children.
- Designing and overseeing the nursery spaces including the purchase and management of equipment.
- To be responsible for and to oversee the day to day management, staffing, organisation and smooth running of the SCCA’s nursery activities
- To develop the ethos of the nursery and create a welcoming and friendly environment
- To lead on the strategic planning, monitoring, evaluation and development of the nursery
- To be responsible at all times for high standards of care and education of children between 0 to five years in accordance with statutory requirements
- To ensure the EYFS is promoted and delivered within the setting and the principles adhered to.
- To be responsible for activity admissions in line with the admissions policies
- To develop and maintain accurate administration systems relating to SCCA’s nursery activities including feedback to parents about their children’s development and progress
- To be accountable and responsible for day to day financial systems directly relating to the nursery provision
- To keep a register and up to date records of all children using the nursery provision and to give regular feedback to parents about their child’s development and progress
Supervision / Management of People
In the first instance, the post holder will be managing and developing our nursery provision and will be working with the director of SCCA to do so.
As nursery service develops and attracts more parents and children, the post holder will be expected to recruit new staff. The post holder will be responsible for management, supervision and appraisal of the following staff
- Deputy Manager
- Nursery Assistants
- Level 2/3 Workers
- Unqualified / Level 1/2 Workers
The Nursery Manager will identify staff training needs and facilitate training opportunities. From time to time there may be a requirement to manage the work of staff who are appointed for supply work or to provide supervision for students on placement.
Creativity and Innovation
The Nursery Manager will have a key role in planning and monitoring of the nursery and implementing essential policies and procedures. This will require creative thought together with an informed understanding of statutory requirements and best practice for childcare.
The Nursery Manager must work to Nursery policies about Keeping Children Safe, Equal Opportunities, Data Protection and Confidentiality.
The Nursery Manager will need to understand and implement nursery policies and procedures (for example for Health and Safety) in relation to staff, buildings and resources.
Contacts and Relationships
Working relationships will include the following:
Director, all staff employed for the day care provision, children
- London Borough of Camden
- Parents and families
- Potentially, staff from a wide range of other agencies and settings including Social Services.
The Nursery Manager will be expected to build good working relationships at every level. Working in partnership with parents and families is highly valued and the Nursery Manager must be approachable, friendly and able to communicate effectively at all times. Supported by the Director and Trustees where appropriate
- Knowledge, understanding and practical experience of Day Care for young children
- Knowledge and practical understanding of child development and parenting
- Knowledge and understanding of legislation and regulations relating to day care for young children and the inspections process for approval of day care settings
- Knowledge and ability to create and implement policies and procedures consistent with legislation, regulations and local requirements
- Able to work independently and to manage own time efficiently
- Experience of managing, supervision and appraisal of staff
- Ability to develop an effective team
- Warm and caring personality – friendly and approachable to families
- Ability to create and implement basic systems for child records and financial records
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels
- Commitment to equal opportunities for all children and families
- Has received at least a ‘good’ inspection from Ofsted in another setting
The duties and responsibilities in this job description are not restrictive and the post holder may be required to undertake any other duties which may be required from time to time. Any such duties should not, however, substantially change the general character of the post.