NURSERY MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Reporting to: Managing Director
Hours: 37.5 hours - 8am-4pm (and cover when needed for nursery opening hours 7.30am-6pm, plus monthly staff meetings)
Based: St Agnes, Cornwall
This management position requires a candidate to successfully run a large and busy nursery, working independently and managing all aspects of the setting with responsibility on a day to day to basis.
You will manage all staff, budgets and resources to ensure good staff retention and training, excellence at Ofsted inspection, good reputation with parents and profitability for the owner.
The Manager role is to promote and exceed the aims and objectives of the nursery by:
- Running the nursery to an exceptionally high standard for all children, parents, staff and visitors
- Assist the marketing manager in marketing the nursery and creating new bookings: Create new business and get the nursery to full with a waiting list
- Having monthly management meetings with the Managing Director to discuss, solve and formally document the issues that arise
- Update the MD with weekly Mgmt Comms to ensure good lines of communication and rapid resolution of any issues
- Ensure the Nursery has a high standard of appearance, cleanliness and maintenance,
- Get GOOD or OUTSTANDING at each Ofsted inspection
- Oversee the robust management of budgets and reporting such figures to the MD
- Setting goals and targets for the nursery on a Continuous Improvement Plan and monitoring this at each management meeting visit
- Reviewing, implementing and creating objectives and policies for the Nursery on an annual basis
- Monitoring all risk assessments, fire drills, health and safety, food hygiene records and all other legal recording that the nursery will have in place
- Checking personnel files and all safeguarding policies are being followed
- Monitoring staffing schedules and holiday rotas to ensure adequate staffing levels are maintained in accordance with Local Authority guidelines and Nursery procedures
- Monitoring and support the manager to implement administrative procedures involved with: - registration, place allocation, and other related matters
- Monitoring and reviewing systems to record child development such as Tapestry and ensuring that it is up to date and done correctly for parents to view
- Monitoring Social Media platforms across the group and commenting as needed on posts or posting updates twice a week if managers away. Be admin on all facebook pages.
- Attending quarterly area meeting with the other managers in the group
- Hold regular management meetings and type up minutes of each meeting to email to MD with reviews and action plans
- Effectively, legally and successfully manage all nursery staff (recruitment, sickness cover, appraisals, supervisions etc)
- Manage all budgets and update spreadsheets with suppliers and costs (budgets are broken down into: maintenance, resources, staffing, ink, cleaning products, food shop)
- Co-ordinate internal management training and disseminate all important information to all staff
- Ensure that we maintain legal obligations such as ratios, food hygiene records (safer food better business manual), personnel files, risk assessments, insurances, nappy records, health & safety
- File paperwork, invoices and banking to give to the MD weekly
- Bank cash and cheques as necessary
- Help recruit staff and deal with bank staff or volunteers as needed
- Deal with Ofsted at the inspection to support manager and get a GOOD or outstanding at each inspection
- Write and review risk assessments and policies regularly
- Manage the extension of the building and all risk assessments and building work
- Work with Cornwall Council to meet expected improvement targets
- Buy and source new toys and equipment each month as needed and within budget. Set priorities over which areas of the EYFS need equipping and work with room leaders to identify needs.
- SENCO & Safeguarding officer for the nursery
- Write and send monthly newsletter to parents (at the end of the month in time for start of month)
- Prepare and email out all invoices for parents
- Collect direct debits for parents on gocardless account at end of each month for next month (takes one week to clear)
- Update Social Media to ensure our reputation is good and informative
You will be the direct line manager for all staff. You will update policies annually or as needed, deal with Ofsted and all other legal parts of the business as required to ensure that we are running efficiently and legally at all times.
You will have regular meetings with the MD to review all continuous improvement goals and during this time you will inform the MD of any issues that have arisen and all day to day concerns.
GUIDELINES FOR THE SETTINGS
Holiday is to be booked in advance with approval from the MD who will manage the use of holiday time to ensure the setting runs at maximum profitability. Ideally holiday is booked during quieter times so that costs of cover are kept low.
The Manager and Deputy Manager cannot have holiday at the same time, nor can any staff take leave in September unless under exceptional circumstances.
No staples are to be used on the walls and doors of any setting and only noticeboards are to be used to display information. All walls are to be kept clean and maintain a good look for parents and visitors.
Maintenance is to be kept up to date so the building looks clean, fresh and appealing.
This role requires someone who has experience at a senior or management level at a nursery.
You will be:
- A Professional Leader: Able to inspire, lead and motivate the senior team working with you to get the best nursery possible. A natural leader who can motivate the staff and have their respect and support
- Organised and Financially astute: Able to manage the running costs of the business and keep each nursery on budget
- Motivated: Want to create growth and get each nursery to outstanding as well as full with a waiting list
- Reliable: Able to be trusted and run the business as the MD directs
- Self motivated – this role requires someone who can make it their own and comes with new ideas for procedures and improvements at each setting. We are always reviewing and striving to improve
- Able to create and grow positive relationships with parents, staff and suppliers – creating loyalty and new business
- Friendly and approachable and interested in children as well as business
You have to be able to see what is needed by the business, respond quickly and professionally and report regularly to the Manager with issues and solutions.
You need to be trusted to bank money, keep confidential client records and generally help with admin and marketing. Thinking creatively and using your initiative is a bonus.
You need to be a flexible worker and able to deal with any and varied issues that may come up.
Level 3 childcare qualification and all up to date EYFS training. Or teacher equivalent.
First Aid qualified (we can provide this if yours is not up to date)
Leadership at a Nursery setting for at least one year
Working at a setting for at least 2 years.
SENCO, Health & Safety, Safer Recruitment, Prevent, British Values, Planning & Assessment, EYFS training, Risk Assessments
Apply for Nursery Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly