Deputy Director of Education (Early Years)
The Deputy Director will be a UK national with in-depth experience of delivering a language-based programme within a bilingual context, and a working familiarity with the Chinese education system.
For Full Circle, the term ‘early years’ defines the educational offered to children aged (2) 3-6 to include:
• stand-alone, full-day kindergartens
• kindergartens which are part of the training school system (usually half-day)
• training schools which exist to complement the mainstream schooling in China, typically after-school English lessons and weekend classes.
- To ensure, where relevant, that Full Circle and St Bees kindergartens operate a curriculum which follows the Full Circle educational approach with due deference to the protocols in operation at any given time.
- To provide leadership and support to KGs as they are established and grow. This will involve all aspects of KG provision:
- schemes of work and programmes of study
- classroom and learning resources
- KG interior design, following the VI from Full Circle
- selection, training and retention of suitably qualified and experienced western and Chinese teachers
- promotional materials and niche marketing strategy
- website and event representation and coordination
- ensuring that the interface between East and West within the KGs and training schools operates smoothly and consistently.
- To lead and coordinate leadership teams in all centres.
- As far as possible, aim to harmonize approaches to learning and teaching between the UK and Chinese curricula, and identify teacher training requirements to meet such objectives.
- To oversee the production and/or upgrade of documentation, to include detailed PoSs and SoWs, for the full range of programmes.
- To build components for children’s character development into the curriculum, exploiting every opportunity for delivering a rounded, holistic education.
- To work on ways of measuring student progress in the development of character attributes and of reporting such progress to parents.
- To identify and source appropriate classroom resources, to include textbooks, e-versions, library reference works and toys
- To produce and/or administer assessment programmes for children.
- To identify staffing requirements in advance.
- Develop appropriate reading schemes and phonics programs, as appropriate.
- Play a leading role in providing a dual-language dimension for Full Circle and St Bees kindergartens.
- Establish the curriculum development action planning framework for early years education, to include timelines, planning ahead of time and meeting due deadlines.
1 Native or fluent speaker of English
2 Bachelor’s/Master’s degree and a teaching-related certificate
3 Competency in spoken Chinese would be a distinct advantage.
4 Experience in a bilingual or dual-language early years environment and adequate, relevant teaching experience
5 Higher-level interpersonal competence and a positive, pioneering attitude
6 Good health, enthusiasm and a sense of humour