Nursery Manager required for nursery in a Children's Centre.
Responsible to: Director of Childcare & Operations/Directors
Responsible for: Nursery staff
Purpose of the job: To provide safe, high quality education and care for young children. To fulfil legal and statutory requirements. To lead and manage staff on a day-to-day basis. To contribute to and implement policies. To ensure that all statutory, legal and setting obligations are followed and met.
- To take responsibility for drawing up long-term, medium-term curriculum plans which take in to account the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum for guidance, and to monitor the effectiveness of the setting’s curriculum. This may include working with other external professionals.
- To be responsible for providing a high quality of education and learning, ensuring that staff are properly deployed and offer appropriate stimulation and support to the children attending the setting.
- To take responsibility for ensuring that performance management systems are in place and followed e.g. induction, probation, supervision, team meetings, objective setting etc.
- To draw up and to supervise the daily programme of activities and events.
- To be responsible for implementing systems of observation and record keeping so that children's progress and achievements are effectively and regularly assessed; to monitor the effectiveness of assessment procedures.
- To organise the key person system and to effectively supervise staff on a daily basis; to be responsible for monitoring the quality of teaching; to participate in staff appraisals and to identify in-service training needs.
- To ensure that the welfare and safety of children is promoted within the setting and that any child protection concerns are always appropriately acted upon immediately.
- To ensure records are properly maintained and updated, e.g. daily attendance register, accident and incident forms etc.
- To liaise closely with parents/carers, informing them about the nursery and its curriculum, exchanging information about children's progress and encouraging parents' involvement.
- Children Centre sites: To liaise regularly with Locality Leads/Managers, attend Safeguarding/Help Meetings and to over see case files.
- To ensure that the nursery is a safe environment for children, staff and others, that equipment is safe, standards of hygiene are high, safety procedures are implemented at all times and fire drills are regularly practiced.
- To liaise with the senior/management and/or Directors, early years team, Ofsted services and other professionals as necessary and ensure that all legal and statutory requirements are implemented, and to provide reports as required.
- To implement any recommendations made following regulatory inspections.
- To contribute to and to implement all nursery policies and procedures, e.g. register and signing out procedures, child protection, health and safety, confidentiality, food safety, setting hygiene etc.
- To manage the nursery petty cash system and to ensure that any systems for income collection or invoicing are followed (Abacus)
- To ensure that children attending the setting receive a balanced and healthy diet.
- To attend any conferences, training events or meetings, as identified by the Director of Childcare & Operations/Directors and to keep up-to-date with current good practice.
- To ensure that accurate and up-to-date record keeping systems are in place e.g. children’s records of progress and any behavioural and development reports, any safeguarding issues, health and safety issues, notes taken at staff supervision meetings, details of targets set and of any performance concerns discussed.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the Director of Childcare & Operations /Senior Manager/Director, in accordance with the setting’s business plan/objectives.
It is the nature of working in a nursery that tasks and responsibilities are on occasion unpredictable and varied, so to retain flexibility this job description is not an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder will be required to undertake any other reasonable duties discussed and directed by the Director of Childcare & Operations/Director/Senior Managers.
- Proven experience of working in a nursery setting.
- Level 3 early years education and childcare qualification or higher.
- Sound understanding of child development, and of children's needs.
- Ability to plan and implement a curriculum, taking into account the SEN Code of Practice, child protection procedures and equal opportunities’ considerations.
- Demonstrable and detailed knowledge of current legislation relevant to the early years.
- Ability to work with parents and families to encourage their involvement.
- Ability to effectively market the setting to maximise occupancy levels and fee income.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage a team of adults, including conducting performance management processes e.g. induction, supervision meetings, appraisals and setting objectives.
- Commitment to equal opportunities and an understanding of equality and diversity issues.
- Ability to write clear reports.
- Ability to prioritise workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage difficult situations, solve problems quickly and make accurate decisions.
- Demonstrate a high level of honesty and integrity.
- Experience of a parent-managed or parent-engaging setting.
Terms and conditions Hours: 40 hrs per week Salary range: Dependant on qualification and experiences
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and does require a DBS (Disclosure Barring Scheme). Applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions they may have and any orders which have been made against them.