Responsible to: Nursery Manager
- To prepare, cook and present age appropriate food to high standards in a clean, tidy, safe and pleasant environment.
- To ensure responsibility for the effective daily management of the nursery kitchen alongside the Nursery/Deputy Nursery Manager and to have a sound knowledge of all Company policies & procedures.
- To support the Nursery/Deputy Nursery Manager to ensure that safeguarding procedures are followed in line with Local Authority and Company procedures.
- To embrace, understand and promote Seahorses Day Nursery and to understand the role you play as part of the team to provide high levels of care and education.
- Work in partnership with the nursery team and parents at all times to support the nurseries’ care and education provision.
- Keep accurate records of supplies and order replacements as needed within the nursery budget requirements.
- This role requires working in collaboration with others and taking responsibility for working in line with regulatory requirements and Seahorses Day Nursery’s policies and procedures to develop the strength and reputation of the Company.
- Keep the kitchen a clean and safe environment for the children in our care.
- Encourage and model behaviour which is age appropriate in a child environment being professional at all times.
- To maintain a high standard of cleanliness and food hygiene.
- To make sure you meet the legal and Company requirements for fire, safety, health and hygiene at all times and necessary paperwork is completed.
- Take responsibility to make sure all dietary requirements are catered for and clearly communicated to teams.
- To respond appropriately to issues regarding confidentiality; for example, being aware of personal information regarding children.
- Support, promote and implement policies as appropriate in your job role.
- Work in co-operation and partnership with the nursery team and parents to encourage a healthy and nutritious diet.
- Use nominated suppliers and ensure all deliveries are accurate and paperwork is kept up to date.
- Support with other activities at the nursery e.g. cooking with the children, staff meetings/fund raising events/calendar events etc.
- Work with suppliers to promote best practice within the nursery by ensuring products and supplies are appropriate for a nursery environment.
- To be responsible and lead on any inspections relating to the kitchen area e.g. Environmental Health.
- To take reasonable care of yourself and others and to comply with the Company’s Health & Safety guidelines.
- Promote the nursery to current parents and potential customers whenever possible.
- Understand the importance of keeping everyone safe and the part you play in this.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach, using your initiative and showing resilience to take responsibility for getting tasks done.
- To work alongside the Management Team to be responsible for Health & Safety Policies and Procedures at nursery.
- To support the Management Team to ensure all paperwork is completed correctly.
- Check premises daily and remove or action any potential hazards.
- Raise any maintenance concerns to the Nursery Manager in due course and keep an ongoing record of this.
- To ensure that you have an excellent understanding and have a working knowledge of all aspects of Health & Safety e.g. Risk Assessments, COSHH etc.
- To promote good hygiene practices in the nursery and maintain high standards of cleanliness
- Part time hours 20 hours weekly
- Abide by Seahorses Day Nursery’s Code of Conduct and all other Policies and Procedures at all times, maintaining a professional approach, behaviour and confidentiality at all times.
- Act as a representative of your nursery and the Company, promoting a professional image at all times.
- To have awareness of any legislation relating to your role.
- Show a willingness to undertake additional roles to meet the needs of the nursery, children and colleagues.
- Keep your job knowledge up to date through Company and external training, showing a commitment to professional development.
- Any other duties as required by the Nursery Manager within the scope and spirit of the role.
A current and online full DBS check
- A current Food Hygiene Certificate.
- A current First Aid Certificate.
- An awareness of food allergies.
- Proven experience and ability to organise, plan and cook nutritionally balanced meals for babies and small children who have different dietary needs.
- Knowledge and awareness of Health and Safety issues including COSHH
- The ability to use food preparation equipment and ensure the economic use of materials, equipment and energy.
- The ability to order correct amounts of food and control kitchen stock.
- Ability to work as part of a team and own initiative.
- Ability to manage own time and prioritise tasks.
- Good customer awareness.
- Friendly, flexible approach.
- Commitment to understanding training and continued professional development.
- Commitment to equal opportunities.
The nursery is within walking distance of Beckton Asda with excellent transport links to the DLR and bus stops within 5-10 minute walks and limited free parking.
The nursery is located on Evelyn Dennington Road E6 5YU
Apply for Nursery Cook
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly